Saturday, October 29, 2011

Zebra stripes

As a child I fell in love with my grandmothers black and white Zebra coffee cups. I was fascinated by the simple pattern that was yet elegant. A couple of years ago my dear grandma passed away, and the Zebras never found their way to me.......

Last year I asked my father what had happened to the Zebra cups and he told me, that they were given to my younger brother (who holds no particular interest in what he drinks of) But I sooooooo wanted those cups to be part of my kitchen, and quickly called my brother and asked if he still had them. There was 4 left and I was more than welcome to have them if they meant something to me - and last month they finally found their way to my house.......










The Zebra series was designed by Eugen Trost for the Swedish porcelain factory "Gefle" in 1955. The "Zebra-cup" became one of the greatest icons of Swedish porcelain. With the "retro-wave" it has experienced quite an increase in popularity and is sold at high prices in known auction houses (app. 100 US Dollars for a cup.....) And it is hand painted. 


Now the question is whether I dare to use it :-) but the hunt continues - I want more......

You can read more about the Zebra coffee service on the Porcelain Blog

No comments: