Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kindle knitting

I have a Kindle - I love my Kindle - no this is not an Amazon advert.... I truly love my Kindle. My husband bought it for me last year for my Birthday - and it made it so easy to take books along for a trip, a bus ride, a trip to the park anything.



Another thing I like to do in public, on trips, bus rides and all the like is to knit. I always choose simple projects for my knit-in-public projects - because no one wants to drag loose papers and big books around - wait a minute dragging books around... I already found a solution to that problem: Kindle. Is it possible that the Kindle could also solve my pattern drag?????

To Amazon I went searching for knitting books and several were available in Kindle format. Still... I suddenly got doubts, could patterns really be satisfying in black and white (I do not have Kindle Fire) and on that little screen - most of the fun with purchasing a pattern book is the beautiful photos and having the pages in front of you....... but I felt that way about books in general when i first heard of Kindle and once I had seen one live I was sold.

So I took the plunge...... I bought a Kindle Knitting Pattern book today......


.... and here I go plunging in to my next challenge - knitting two socks at a time on circular needles trying to medicate my second-sock syndrome :-) It works like a charm. With the excellent "Go To" and "Bookmark" features on Kindle, you can easily jump to the pattern you need - and since you decide the size of the letters yourself it wont be a problem reading the pattern. I don't know if it will work for large diagrams though.

But one success a day just is not enough for this success junkie, so I had to try and store one of my many PDF knitting patterns on the kindle as well. Works like a charm. However, with the PDF files you will not be able to change the size of the letters, but you can zoom in. Have heard rumors of a technique of e-mailing the pattern to your Kindle e-mail address and Amazon will convert the file format to Kindle format for you - but that awaits testing.



So now I take two of my greatest passions (not counting my family ;-)) with me on the road in one solution - knitting and reading - isn't this world great?


No comments: